- Understand the amount of work and time needed to achieve change; advocacy is complex, multidimensional, and requires consistent effort and a team approach.
- Understand how to access and use the ATC toolkit to improve access to coverage for your patients.
- Understand how to reach out to representatives/senators/governor or other local/state/national leadership to impact change.
- Participants will be able to understand the current status of Medical Nutrition Therapy coverage for Medicare, Medicaid, and major private insurers specifically related to bariatric surgery.
- Participants will be able to identify the current legislation affecting Medical Nutrition Therapy coverage and the current status of these bills in Congress.
- Participants will be able to affectively advocate for better nutrition service coverage and understand the process of advocating at the federal and state level.
- Participants will be able to understand the current drawbacks to institutions accepting outpatient bariatric procedures in relation to reimbursement verses inpatient procedures.
- Participants will be able to identify options for procedures in relations to patient needs, payor needs, institution needs.
- Participants will be able to understand the concerns and negative impact to patients who do not fit the criteria for outpatient procedure.
Michael Seger, MD
A timeline for success in Georgia: How to successfully advocate for bariatric coverage with your state government
L. Renee Hilton, MD FASMBS
Medical Nutrition Therapy Coverage: Improving Access for Pre- and Post-op Bariatric Surgery Patients
Melissa Page, MS RD CSOWM LDN
Outpatient Bariatric Procedure Coverage: Improving Access. Is Bariatric Outpatient Surgery the answer?
Adam Dungey, MBA BSN
Closing Question & Answer